Thursday, February 12, 2015

Lip Balm Tint


I'm having so much fun with this!!  My lip balms have always been a friends and family favorite.  I make a sunflower, shea based balm with beeswax.  Currently I have two flavors, Honey and then Peppermint EO.  Both are awesome.


I decided to try out some lip safe colorants.  I used a burgundy oxide and then Merlot and Copper sparkle mica's.  The tutorial I was following just used the micas with an additional Gold mica.  I ended up adding 4 times the amount of colorant to the small amount of lip balm than was required in the lip balm.  I didn't want mine too sheer.


I'm thinking of getting a mini hand beater to mix in these colorants in the future.  It would help with adding colorants to soap as well.  I like to make my lip balm base in a mason jar and then take out the amount I need when I make lip balms.  I haven't made a ton at once recently so I just use the dropper method of filling the tubes rather than fill a whole tray for 50 lip balms at once.


The lip balm looked pretty dark, but really the concentration of color is not that great where you'd call it more of a lipstick.


Here are my pale lips before....



And then with a light application of the lip balm.  The lighting is bad but it still at least shows that it's sheer and natural looking.  I'm pretty pleased but plan to try out some other tints in the future.....maybe go all mica like the last recipe since the oxide I used cut down on the shimmer.


Lip prints on my coffee mug!


This lip balm is still my honey flavored one, gonna have to get some peppermint made soon,  I love then both!

No comments:

Post a Comment